This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links (this does not affect the price you pay and helps me keep this blog running). Please note that I only recommend products that I use and love. To read my full disclosure click here.
Inner child work is a powerful way to heal yourself and go within and comfort yourself. A lot of the time we look outside ourselves when we need love and comfort.
The problem with this is quite often we don’t feel like we are getting the love and validation we need.
When we are triggered or feel hurt, it’s our inner child that is being triggered. It’s our inner child that needs that love.
What is Inner Child Work?
Inner child work is a practice of going within and comforting your younger self that feels wounded. That inner child is searching for your comfort and wants your attention. The attention they feel like they didn’t have when you were younger.
Inner child work helps you connect to that wounded, scared part of you. It is such a great way of healing those parts of you.
You are validating and comforting yourself. As you keep practising this, you will find you get triggered less and feel safer and more secure.
By attending to your own needs, you will find that the people around you will also start treating you differently.
Our outside world is simply a mirror to our internal world. If your inner child doesn’t feel safe and protected, you will often feel like the world isn’t safe either. And you will manifest more circumstances that don’t make you feel safe.
By comforting your inner child when you are triggered, the more your inner child feels safe. Meaning the more they will want to play and bring joy into your life.
Manifest Your Desires by Healing
Doing this work can help you manifest your desires faster because you will become a lot calmer, be able to ignore your 3D circumstances a lot easier and feel worthy of actually receiving your desires.
You will no longer be recreating more situations from the old, wounded self. You will become more stable and secure, this meaning it will be so much easier for you to create amazing things into your life.
We manifest more of what we are, if we are still feeling hurt and wounded, that’s what will subconsciously come in for us.
Inner Child Healing Exercises
So how do we actually do the inner child work?
There are a few ways to connect with your inner child. A great way to do this is when something has upset you, as that is the time they need you the most.
The following steps will help guide you:
- Take a few deep breaths and put your hand on your heart. Keep breathing until you feel like your body is fully relaxed.
- Now imagine the little you, you can also find a picture of yourself when you were younger. Imagine your inner child approaching you and giving them a big hug.
- Now start comforting your inner child. What do they need to hear? Say things like “I’ll always be here for you”, “you matter, I see you, I hear you”. “You are safe because I will always protect you”.
- If you have been triggered by something, think of what old core limiting belief was coming up for you. Eg “I’m not enough” or “I’m not loved” and make sure you include reassuring your inner child the opposite to these old beliefs.
- You can also ask your inner child what they need right now to feel better.
- Once you feel your inner child feels safe, you can imagine them feeling happy again. Maybe dancing around and being playful.
If you can go within every time you don’t feel safe or you are triggered, this will show your inner child that you are there for them, you have their backs and you will start to feel whole again.
Inner Child Journal Prompts
Another great way to connect to your inner child is journaling. I’m a massive fan of journaling and believe it’s so powerful with work like this.
Here are some journaling prompts to help you get started:
- What things would you like to say to your inner child?
- What are the things you loved to do as a child, that you can do more of in your life?
- What does your inner child need to feel more loved and secure?
- If you always felt secure and loved as a child, how different would your life be?
- What parts of you have you suppressed due to criticism?
- What does your ideal childhood look like? (this is revision and can help you create a more positive future, read about this here)
- What ways can you connect to your imagination more?
- Who does your inner child need to forgive the most?
Inner Child Guided Meditations
If you are a fan of meditation this can be a great way to heal your inner child. Below are some guided meditations you can try:
10 Minute Meditation
40 Minute Meditation
Let me know in the comments if you have tried any of these inner child exercises and how they have helped you.
If you like this post, please share using the buttons below. If you want to receive my weekly newsletter, sign up here and you will also get a free copy of the 28 Day Self-Love Journaling Challenge.
Hi, I’m Laura, I’m a blogger and coach. I help women up level their self-worth, reprogram their minds and manifest their desires using The Law of Assumption!
Come join me in the Facebook Group, Manifest with Female Worth